- My host family's beloved dog got stolen (and believed to be sold off as meat)
- I had such a bad cold that I was having un-breath-able coughing fits
- I also had nausea and diarrhea for several nights in a row
- I ran out of Iron Pills too, which lead me to weakness especially because of sickness, tiredness, and sleeplessness
- Sadly, the week's practicum was biking to Site B's Health Center. I wad doing that in a samput (Khmer skirt) and the heat while being sick and weak. It takes me about 50 minutes 1 way from my house. I also am not fit and bike slow, so I had such a hard time. I was dehydrated to a point where my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth.
Thankfully, these harsher times passed. Now, the days are better and things are looking happier. However, when so many bad things are happening to you or to your host family, it can take a toll on your ability to be fully present in the exciting yet intense Pre-Service Peace Corps training.